Sunday, 23 December 2012

Kingdom Death by candlelight


Having noted that the world of Kingdom Death is utterly dark, save for the light of fire and lantern, I thought it would be fun to experiment shooting by candlelight. I set up a couple of tea lights and a taller candle for these shots. Canon set on a tripod with manual exposure settings. I think it worked a treat, no image manipulation involved. If you play the game (when it eventually comes out), playing by the light of subdued lamps and candles has to be the way to do it.

Coming out of the darkness... Gorm!  O'O


Illumination of the lure accomplished by a Maglite from below.


I haven't varnished this yet, otherwise there would have been glossy reflections on the eyes and maw. Will retry this set up at a later date.

My apologies in advance if this gives you nightmares...

~J~

UPDATE...

This is for Ilias, who requested a list of colours that I used on Gorm. The palette was quite small.
Liquitex Concentrated Artist Colour - Mixing Grey, Pale/Light/Deep Portrait Pinks, Burgundy, Unbleached Titanium.
Vallejo - Sky Grey, Dark Sea Grey, Red.
For the maw I used Alizarin Crimson (combined with the Light Pink) which ought to be in any good range of acrylic (mine is from a defunct range)
An old Bone colour from Citadel, but any bone will do for the teeth >> that Titanium colour was used to highlight it, but can equally be used on its own. I applied a little blue-grey around the eyes and stalk, the bulb with as bilious a green as I had and lightened with white.

Things to note: this model is BIG compared to its human KD relatives, so big it's like painting a fat hamster. Don't get caught up with tiny details. I would suggest not gluing the stalk until you are near the end of painting.

It took a good while to start painting. I stared at it. It stared back  O'O
I had to make some sort of commitment, so I started by applying Mixing Grey to the body in a wash and lightly wiping most of it off, leaving grey in the skin detail. This was more to help visualise the colour scheme, but it helped to have it as a base coat anyway. The head had to be pink - I  could see no other way of doing it, so how to phase the colour into the body? For some reason I just went for the Red and laid it on the neck and belly, thinning where appropriate. I'm very glad this Red has a 'natural' quality, distinct from something purer like a Cadmium Red.

The rest of the body is painted with the greys with added Deep or Pale Pink. The head with pinks and some red to help blend the transition.

6 comments:

  1. very nice work there

    thanks for postiing your link on the KD:M kickstarter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilias Mastrogiorgos23 December 2012 at 21:59

    Amazing !
    I really have no words ! It's alive !!
    A very Big Thank You for the colors list and the process followed :)
    I will give it a try in the near future,for sure.




    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even want a Gorm, but wow, that is crazily well painted. Thanks for listing the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one creepy model! Really nice paintjob on it too, and I like the candle light effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great note and very interesting notes. I'll get a hamster for the test run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome! It's true haven't seen you put much painting up here in a while, but really sweet!
    painters edmonton

    painting contractor edmonton

    ReplyDelete