Thursday 22 September 2022

McDeath, part 3: Klinty, or how we got Treebeard all wrong

Project diary... 

Before I settle on a base size, first I need to map out the positions of the central protagonists. I am deconstructing a 2-D painting, so I need to have a sweet spot, a perfect viewing angle that most closely reassembles the John Blanche painting with the miniatures. My chosen angle is 30°, seen roughly by the line of sight of my phone lens below...


Now I have a rough map of positions, the next step in planning is deciding just how much battle is going on behind the cast. That is for the next post.

Now I want to talk about this fellow below. Klinty, aka Treebeard from Citadel's original foray into Lord of the Rings licensing, has always been put together wrong in every image I've seen in print. I had this before but sold it years ago, and I had assembled it as per the original catalog pic. I think pretty much everyone did the same. After stripping the paint and breaking up this new one, I looked at it with new eyes. 

I didn't notice anything until I had cleared away some residual milliput from the recessess of his feet. Then it was crystal clear that Treebeard is walking, the foot of his left leg is planting a step. The arms have some leeway (i.e. rotation), but it looked correct to have his right arm reaching out, the head lines up with the direction of the step. With this pose I have much less work to do to match the painting. 

~J~


No comments:

Post a Comment